Today is the 80th birthday of one of the most loved actors around: Morgan Freeman. Can you believe that this great man is 80? He doesn’t look a day over 65, right? So, to celebrate June 1st, here is a piece just about everyone’s favourite God, Morgan Freeman. Happy 80th birthday Mr. Freeman!
Top 10 Morgan Freeman films
- The Shawshank Redemption (Red)
- The Dark Knight trilogy (Lucius Fox)
- Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (Azeem)
- Se7en (Somerset)
- RED (Joe Matheson)
- Bruce Almighty (God)
- Kiss the Girls (Dr. Alex Cross)
- Gone Baby Gone (Jack Doyle)
- Hard Rain (Jim)
- Million Dollar Baby (Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris)
10 Fun Facts about Morgan Freeman
- Morgan Freeman speaks French fluently. Oui oui, sacre bleu baguette!
- He is a beekeeper. Bzz bzzz honey bzz
- He has the most A-MA-ZING voice EVER and frequently does voice overs
- Due to this, there are even ‘imitation’ Morgan Freemans who are hired for their voices
- He won an Oscar for Million Dollar Baby and got a nomination for Street Smart, Driving Miss Daisy, The Shawshank Redemption and Invictus
- Red in Shawshank Redemption originally (in the Stephen King novel) was an Irishmen with red hair, hence the name Red. The role went to Morgan Freeman thanks to director Frank Darabont
- At age 65, he got a private pilot’s license
- He has played three characters more than once: Alex Cross, God and Lucius Fox
- Morgan Freeman lives in Charleston, Mississippi, and New York City
- He is immortal (one can only hope…)
10 Things that also happened in 1937
- Franklin D. Roosevelt became president of the United States of America, for his second term
- The bombing of Spanish town Guernica during the Spanish Civil War, which cost hundreds of people their lives. The bombing later was the subject of Pablo Picasso’s famous painting Guernica.
- The Hindenburg disaster. The airship caught fire and was destroyed, costing 36 people their lives.
- George VI is crowned as king of the United Kingdom, after his brother King Edward VIII, abdicated the throne. Edward wanted to marry divorcee Wallis Simpson, which a King could not do at the time. So he chose love over ruling, and they marry in… 1937!
- The Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco opens, first for pedestrians and later also for vehicle traffic.
- Amelia Earhart disappears, during her attempt to become the first woman to fly around the world. (Amelia is also featured in the book Wonder Women)
- Walt Disney’s Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs premieres. This is the first feature lenght animation. It’s the start of a long list of amazing Disney films.
- J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit is published. Tolkien would later also write The Lord of the Rings.
- The last Bali tiger dies 🙁
- Also born in 1937: Shirley Bassey; Vanessa Redgrave; Warren Beatty; Billy Dee Williams; George Takei; Jack Nicholson; Hunter S. Thompson; Dustin Hoffman; Ridley Scott; Jane Fonda; Anthony Hopkins. Seriously, 1937 brought us sooooo many amazing people!
10 people also born on June 1st
- Tom Holland
- Amy Schumer
- Alanis Morissette
- Heidi Klum
- Jason Donovan
- Teri Polo
- Powers Boothe (he just recently passed away)
- Brian Cox
- Pat Boone
- Marilyn Monroe
Happy 80th Birthday, Morgan Freeman!